TO REPORT A FIRE CALL 911
FIRE DEPARTMENT WEB-SITE AND BURN PERMIT INFO
BURN BARRALS ARE UNDESIRABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
· They create a smoke or odor nuisance.
· Burn barrels do not provide good combustion.
· The smoke emitted consists of a number of chemicals that can be irritating or even harmful. Chemicals commonly detected in burn barrel smoke include dioxins, benzene, styrene, formaldehyde, furans, PCBs, lead, mercury, and arsenic.
· Burning plastics can be especially problematic, with PVC plastic in particular contributing to high emissions of dioxin.
· Dioxin is a persistent, bio-accumulative toxin, which means it isn't broken down into safer chemicals, and it is concentrated in the food chain.
· As dioxin in burn barrel smoke drifts away to eventually settle on nearby fields, it can be eaten by cows where it is concentrated in their fat. Some is then excreted with the milk while the rest remains in the animal's fat. When humans consume dairy products and meat they end up with the long-lived dioxin in their own bodies.
· The US EPA considers burn barrels a major source of dioxin. They also consider that current dioxin levels in Americans, due to consumption of dairy and meat, are high enough to add a significant cancer risk, as well as other serious health risks.
For more information go to: http://www.burnbarrel.org/